Welcome to Eversley, the home of EYELarp, Gunman Airsoft, Gorgon Photography and Feast Your Eyes.
We run events here every weekend of the year and are constantly updating and upgrading the site, so please bear with us for the safety brief even if you’ve heard it before, there may well be changes since the last time you were here.
- The woodland and scrubland areas have been fairly untouched so mind your footing, watch out for low branches and please do not climb trees.
- Only climb on the structures with steps – the Gatehouse at the Wall (also called the Fort) which can take 4 people on it. The two watch towers in the Viking Village which can take 2 people each, please watch you footing when climbing the structures.
- Please do not go beyond the boundaries of the gaming areas and be aware of your conduct when in sight of the public using the footpaths surrounding our site. Three boundary lines are marked by roads and the fourth backs on to a private garden, with the white boundary markers and wire fence.
- The forestry commission are currently doing woodland maintenance in a strip of their land that borders our own, so please be aware of felled trees beyond Viking and the Outpost.
Fire Points and First Aid:
- In case of uncontrolled fire, all persons must make their way to the SAFE ZONE, which is the car park, so we can do a headcount.
- The first aid point is also the Safe Zone – we can deal with simple cuts, scrapes and burns but any worse and you’ll have to go to A&E or call an ambulance.
- All fire pits MUST be off the ground and also on a solid paving slab base.
- Fire buckets are situated under the hand washing stations.
You MUST have a fire bucket at hand if using your own open fire.
- We have the benefit of 3 settlements that have been built by the community in the last few years. Some of these may be available for sleeping in or using in-game.
- The huts are the “set” for our games rather than accommodation – do not assume you will be able to get a space in one as we may need them for the game.
- The agreement is that the builder gets first dibs on any structure they build, but they are available to be used by players or crew when they’re not around.
- The buildings are first-come, first-served, and we don’t hold any buildings for groups except in exceptional circumstances.
- Please treat the buildings with respect, sweep them out after use, take all rubbish with you and make sure all furniture is put back
- If huts are repeatedly left in a bad state, we will remove the use of our builds for the game in question.
- Please also leave the timber yard as it is and do not take any wood from it for burning. The timber yard is the walled-off area, next door to the Wild West tavern’s beer garden, full of planed timber, and the crates just outside it full of feather edge and the same planking you can see all around!
- Wood that CAN be burned is available in the wood store: the cabin with a stable door on the corner nearest the toilets and bins. There are also large wooden crates of felled timber around it. Please feel free to burn any dead fall from around the site also.
Weapon Safety and fighting:
- EYELarp events are part of the FilmSim ethos of cinematic games, where we imagine every game is a movie, and you are the protagonist, antagonist or other character of your choice in that setting.
- Our games are collaborative between the players and crew – think of our NPCs as the side characters and our skirmish crew as your stunt team. They’re here to make you look cool, with epic fight scenes and intense roleplay moments.
- The goal during fighting should not to be to hit the crew as hard as possible as many times as you can! Fighting should always be done safely, with blows pulled at the last moment to lessen the impact of the hit, and HEAD HITS AVOIDED AT ALL TIMES.
- Try to express the weight of the weapon you are using with cinematic, OTT, swings and visceral, theatrical reactions when you’re hit.
- Executing downed foes is acceptable, but must be done with exaggerated roleplay and if cutting their throat – without drawing the knife across the skin.
- All weapons must be LARP-Safe, made of foam and latex with a fibreglass or other tried and tested core. Eating knives and bushcraft knives should not be brought out of town.
- All weapons must be checked by whoever is using it before taking it into the game, and should not be stored tip-down.
- Some EYELarp games have blank-firing and cap guns as part of the system. These must not be fired at point-blank range or in melee combat. Guns should be holstered or dropped when engaging in melee combat.
- With ranged effects without projectiles it can be difficult to know if you are the target, so we recommend getting the target’s attention before firing or spellcasting. Sometimes you may miss, other times your “magic bullet” may take out three crew. Always give your opponents the benefit of the doubt.
- You’re dead when you think you *should* be dead.
Our skirmish crew are not actively trying to assassinate your character. If you fall in combat, it may lead to a rescue mission being set up, or other roleplay encounter. Some of our games have additional death mechanics or bead pulls for certain scenarios, such as the Valkyries at Bindrune or High Noon at Flying Lead: Smoke and Brass.
- All arrows must be checked before use, and all bows must have a draw weight of less than 30lbs.
Behaviour and Conduct:
- All EYELarp games are gender neutral and don’t expect people to conform to particular gender roles.
- You are expected to act in a respectful and inclusive manner and don’t choose a character type that behaves in a manner that will offend others out of game. Our games are set in fictional states, regions and islands within history to allow us to create settings where all participants can enjoy themselves, regardless of historical attitudes to gender, race and sexuality in the relevant historical period.
- It is not acceptable to insult another participant based on an out-of-character attribute such as height, weight and other out-of-character physical appearance characteristics, or remark upon such traits in any way that is discriminatory.
- Non-consensual sex of any kind is not part of this, or any EYELarp game. Any reference to such will be met with a final warning.
- Anyone found pushing or openly behaving in a way that is NOT within the game brief will be asked to leave.
- Please remember that the people around you may have been affected by issues you want to play out in game. Checking in with other players beforehand is encouraged and subtly going OC to do this is not immersion breaking.
- Real world political and social ideologies must be left at the door and not brought into the weekend.
- Any directed assault or harassment should immediately be taken up with the site wardens or organiser so appropriate measures can be taken. This may mean the end of the game and police involvement.
Drinking and Smoking:
- Please monitor your drinking, this is a social event but utter drunkenness will not be tolerated. EYELarp runs high quality FilmSim events that are serious roleplay games. If you are spotted unable to control yourself you will be asked to leave the game to sleep it off.
- Smoking and vaping must be done in open spaces and be as in-keeping with the game as possible. If vaping, please keep them on low settings to avoid the “dragon effect” or other players may think you’re a monster encounter.
- The ground Eversley sits on is mostly peat, so we have to be very careful about ground fires. Please do not throw cigarette butts on the ground, instead stub them and put them in a pocket or pouch or directly in the bin. We had a close call at an airsoft event in 2018 after a cigarette started a fire and the fire service had to pump 40,000 litres of water into the site to ensure the peat layer hadn’t caught. If the weather has been hot and dry before an event we have to be particularly aware of this!
- We only have tardis style loos onsite, these are for SITTING ONLY. Anyone found lightsabring will be handed cleaning supplies!
- Please flush before and after use, and close the lid when you are done.
- We are situated in 65 acres of forest, so feel free to be one with nature, but before you wee in a bush please check it for crew
- A hand washing station is located next to the toilet and stocked with soap and hand sanitiser. There are three others in the Wild West town, Viking Village and next to the kitchen. If the waterbutts are empty, let crew know so we can restock them.
- Spare sanitary supplies are available behind the door in the site office – Please help yourself.
- There are clip-on lights in each of the loos, please let us know if they need new batteries.
- Bins are situated behind the toilets, please make sure all your rubbish gets bagged and put in them or taken away with you at the end of the event. We cannot recycle here so appreciate both players and crew taking their cans and bottles home to recycle.
- Gorgon Photography are our site photography team, our photographers this weekend are ________.
- Please let them know in advance if you do not want your picture taken and they will do their utmost to avoid it.
- They operate a takedown policy – you can request any photo of yourself to be taken down, no questions asked.
- If you cannot have your photo online, speak to them and they can often organise a private gallery.
- We see no difference in player or crew, both have come to have fun and play let’s pretend. Both should treat each other with respect and work to create the best story possible for everyone.
- We’re not about cheat calling or heavy-handed reffing and will only get involved with encouragement for people to play a better game. If anyone steps continually out of the brief they will be asked to step out of the game and assess whether they are at the right kind of event.
- The basic rules of EYELarp games are: give game to everyone, react to everything around you and don’t expect others to react the way you thought. If you are hit during combat, react and give game to those players who are playing healers.
- Most of the game is hard skills, so if you can do it, you can do it, but effort is everything and as long as you’re within the spirit of the game it may well work!